On Monday morning we spent a lot of time outside, enjoying the spring day.
Once we were inside, Grant and I did a little math review with some new dice. I wanted to get some bigger numbers in there when he was rolling his dice, so I ordered these on Amazon.
After that we practiced the penny whistle, and then I started reading this book to the kids:
After I read part of the book, we started making some dryer-felted eggs. For this we took plastic eggs, taped them closed with duct tape, and then wrapped them in wisps of wool roving.
One they were wrapped in wool, I put them inside a knee-high hose, and knotted it tight against the egg.
Here are the eggs ready to go into the washer, and then into the dryer. This time we let the washer and dryer do all the work!
Here are our finished eggs:
Can you guess whose is whose?
On Tuesday, I continued to read more from The Starry Bird book, and we also painted some cardboard eggs. I cut out egg shapes from cardboard using pinking shears, and then the kids painted them.
Once the eggs were dry, we wrapped string or yarn around them to create stripes. The jagged edges made by the pinking shears helped the yarn/string stay in place. I finished it off by gluing them all to a ribbon and hanging it up.
On Wednesday, I read more of The Starry Bird, and I also read this book:
Grant also helped me make the place cards for Easter dinner which we filled with foil-wrapped chocolate eggs.
On Thursday, I read more in The Starry Bird, and then the kids went on an Easter egg hunt.
The eggs were filled with objects that go along with this book:
Once they had found all the eggs, I sat down and read the book. As we got to each part of the book that corresponded to a certain color egg, the kids looked to see who had that egg and then opened it to see what was inside. For example, the eggs included things like a small piece of cloth, little praying hands, a small nail, a little goblet, a small crown of thorns, etc.
On Thursday afternoon, we had some friends join us for egg dying. I made the dye the night before using veggies, fruit, and spices. I used purple cabbage to make the blue dye, beets to make the pink dye, blackberries to make purple, and turmeric powder to make yellow.
The kids ran off to play while the eggs sat in the dye. Once they were dry, the kids had fun decorating them. Here's how they turned out:
On Friday, we made hot cross buns, and the kids painted a few more eggs that I had blown out. The rest of the day was spent in making preparations for Easter dinner which we will be having on Saturday.






















No comments:
Post a Comment