Sunday, April 10, 2011

King Arthur - Week 1

So, we will not be covering Saints in this final language arts block.  Instead we will be covering stories about King Arthur, Sir Lancelot and The Knights of the Round Table.  These will be simple stories for Grant where the characters will exemplify the traits of bravery, courage and honor.  These lesson ideas once again come from the files of Waldorf teacher, Marsha Johnson, at her Waldorf Home Educators Yahoo! Group.


On Monday, we reviewed some of our times table tunes and then practiced the penny whistle.  When we were done with that I read Grant and Johanna this book:

 
After I read the book, the kids had a snack, and then Grant and I began working on a coat of arms for our family. On this day, we were getting some ideas, and seeing what we wanted it to look like.  We will continue to work on this throughout the next couple of weeks.


After we had worked on our coat of arms for awhile, I read Grant the story of how Arthur became King.  I read this version I found here.

On Tuesday, we said our morning verses, reviewed a few of the times tables, and practiced the penny whistle.  I read Grant and Johanna this great little book:


On it's pages we saw all different kinds of eggs.

After I read the book, Grant continued working on our "permanent" coat of arms.  We also drew pictures from the story of King Arthur in our lesson books:


 Mom's Drawing

Grant's Drawing

I also wrote out a list of ten words related to our story on the board, five of which were "naming" words and five were "doing" words.  Grant than copied all the words into a book.


I also had Grant read me a short version of the story which was included with the lesson plans.

On Wednesday, we reviewed nouns and verbs by playing some games.  First we played the "Noun Down" game.  This started with Grant standing up in a chair and every time I said a noun he was supposed to jump down. Then we played animal charades with the kids acting out what different animals would do.  For example, cows...MOO, horses....GALLOP, frogs....jump, cats...MEW..etc,.

I also put little slips of paper in a container which had written on them the 100 most common words in the English language.  I had Grant draw out a slip of paper, read the word, spell it, and then spell it with his eyes closed.



I also read Grant a slightly different version of the story of King Arthur removing the sword from the stone from this book:


After that, Grant copied a summary from the story.

(Sorry this is difficult to see.  Grant chose a really bright shade of yellow.  It says, "Arthur was sent away as a baby to live with a knight and his squires.  He helped the maids and learned to serve.  The King called for a tournament and he pulled the shining sword out of the stone.")


On Thursday, we reviewed some more of the 100 most common words the same way as above, and we also played a game similar to the Noun Down game that Grant made up and called The "Verb Herb" Game.  Every time I said a verb, Grant had to say "herb".  We also practiced our penny whistle, and I had Grant write out the spelling words I pulled from the story, three times each, on his chalkboard.



Grant and Johanna also painted their birds from last week.





Finally, to go along with our "egg" theme for the week, we wet felted some eggs using this tutorial from Wee Folk Art here.  The kids had a lot of fun with this, mostly because they got to play around in water :)  Grant was able to felt his all on his own, but I had to help the girls with theirs, plus do mine, so I had a major arm workout!





Here are our finished eggs:

The kids also colored bluebird, duck, great blue heron and robin pages this week.  Once again, these are all birds we see a lot around the house and lake.  Johanna was actually upset on Sunday because we didn't have school, so she didn't get to color a bird picture.  I told her not to worry, and that she would have another one to color on Monday.

We are also in for some fun next week as Grant begins "Paige Training"! Something tells me the girls will be getting involved in this, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment