Sunday, October 10, 2010

Welcome Autumn

Autumn has arrived, and there was a chill in the air, but the temperature quickly rose back into the high 80's by the end of the week.

On Monday, we had a day off school.  Let's just say Grant was in a very un-cooperative mood, and I wasn't going to argue with him the whole morning or listen to his complaining.  So, we didn't have school and spent more time outside enjoying the beautiful Fall weather.  I suppose we can consider it an early Columbus Day.

So, one day late.....Once we were in the room, we began with our circle time, math review and penny whistle lesson.  Grant is more interested in the penny whistle this year as things are getting a little more challenging and not so "boring".  After we were done with that, I read Grant the story of The Busy Ant and the Singing Grasshopper from Usborne's Aesop's Fables by Anna Milbourne.  We learned from this fable that the idle get what they deserve.



After I read the story, Grant and I drew a picture with our block crayons.

 Mom's Drawing

Grant's Drawing


I also introduced the new form drawing for the week.

On Wednesday, I had Grant re-tell the story and then we came up with a summary, which he copied.  Once it was copied, he read it a couple times before I change the spelling of a few words on the chalkboard and then made him find them and spell them correctly.




I also explained to Grant that all the words I write in blue are nouns, or "naming words".  Well, he told me that he already knew what nouns were and pointed out that I missed the word "crow" once and accidentally wrote it in green.  Okay Mr. Smarty Pants, just wait until we get to verbs.....

On Wednesday night, we met Grant's baseball coach and some other boys from his team at a park/playground for hot dogs and a serious game of tag.  Grant's coach also gave the boys their 2010 season medals.

On Thursday, I told Grant the story of The Fox and Crow.  Moral: beware of flatterers. After I told the story, Grant and I drew a picture in our MLB's.
  

Mom's Drawing

Grant's Drawing

On the Friday morning walk, the kids watched the leaves falling from the trees.


Grant also found this branch, which he then set to destroying until he figured out it made a good "horse", so they all tried it out.  Once they decided it wasn't very comfortable, the destruction began once again, and it was soon broken down into  smaller pieces, some of which became walking sticks.



Once inside, Grant re-told the story of The Fox and the Crow to the girls and I, and copied the summary of it in his MLB.



I am going to guess by looking at the above copy work that Grant was distracted by something the girl's were doing.  I'm not 100% sure, I'm just guessing..

Once he finished his copy work, he drew the form drawing in the book (I drew the line down the middle and he drew one side, and then drew the mirror opposite on the other),


and we did some LA exercises.


Oh yeah, and Loki had fun getting tangled up in the jump rope.


No comments:

Post a Comment