Sunday, March 25, 2012

Saul, David and Seeds

Last week we enjoyed some spring time books and activities, as well as lots of time outside watching everything flower, grow and turn green. For school, I taught the kids new French words and phrases through songs and verses.  We learned a new song about spring and flowers, and played a game using words for different types of fruits and vegetables.  They also learned how to say phrases such as, "that's all", "I would like...", "I don't like....", "I like...."  Grant and I did the usually math review, spelling, reading and piano lesson every day.  For cursive practice, we took the word, "Constantinople", and figured out smaller words we could make out of it which Grant then rewrote in cursive.

We also finished off the language arts block we had been doing with stories about Saul and David.  On Monday, Grant was in an especially grumpy mood, and we made it through French lesson, spelling and piano lesson before I chose to stop working him and end his lessons for the day.  That meant he would have a lot more school work to do on Tuesday, and wouldn't have time for the fun activities. The rest of school time on Monday morning was spent with Johanna.  I read her a story called, "Seeds" out of the following book:

After I read her the story, we sat down and talked about what she would like to plant in the garden box she is going to have this year.  She drew a picture of it in her lesson book.

Grant was back into the swing of things on Tuesday, so after our regular pre-main lesson routine, I read him a story about Samson and Saul.

After the story, he drew a picture from it in his main lesson book.


I also introduced the following form drawing for the week.

Grant also re-told me the story, and then we summarized it together, and he copied the summary into his lesson book.

I read this book to Johanna:

This book talks about all the things seeds need to grow, one of which is lots of sunshine.  So, Johanna and I drew a picture of a sun.  Once again, I wanted her to cover her whole page with color.
Mom's Drawing

Johanna's Drawing 

 
On Wednesday, I told Grant the some stories about David.  One of which was the story of David and Goliath.


Once again, Johanna sat down on her own and drew a picture from my chalkboard drawing.

 
After I was done telling the stories, Grant and I modeled David and Goliath out of beeswax.  Grant modeled David, and I modeled Goliath.  Grant finds it very challenging to work with beeswax (which is why it is so good to have him work with it), so he tends to get frustrated and usually does not attempt to make it very detailed.

 
 (The little yellow guy is Johanna's.)
When we got out the beeswax, the girls wanted some, too.


This is our lineup of beeswax characters.  Julia's is the little blue "guy".


I also read Johanna a story called "The Violet" from this book:

On Thursday, Grant and I made up silly sentences again with the mis-spelled words from spelling practice during the week.  Grant also re-told me the story from Wednesday, and we came up with a summary which he copied into his lesson book.


The girls and I used this fun seed cookie set that I got from www.magiccabin.com.
Garden Cookies Make and Grow Kit


We mixed up the soil, clay and seeds in the kit, rolled it out and then cut out shapes.



Now our seed cookies are ready to plant.

Next week, Grant and I will move onto another math block, while Johanna and I will be talking about birds and eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment