Monday, February 4, 2013

X, Y and Z

On the week of January 14, Johanna and I finished up with the consonants.  We went off the rhythm a little this week, and I taught three letters instead of the usual two letters.  We continued to start of the mornings with our walk, followed by a circle time once we got into the school room.  We have also been doing some easy yoga poses as part of our circle time, just to change things up a bit, and add a little stretching and breathing into the morning.  I have been alternating the days we do French lesson and penny whistle lesson.  We also continue to review the letters we have already learned in various ways.  I also continued with the next installment of the ongoing adventures of Super Sam for Julia.  We usually try to make a recipe on Tuesday that goes along with the Sam story, but we just didn't get to it this week.  

On Monday, I introduced Johanna to the letter X.   



I told her the story of The Woodcutter's Three Axes from the "Working with LNMOP Manual" by Howard Schrager, and showed her how to write the letter X.  After I was done reading the story, we drew pictures in our main lesson books.

Mom's Drawing

Johanna's Drawing


Johanna also wrote out the letter X.
 

On Tuesday, Johanna re-told me the story, and I copied a summary into her lesson book.
 


The girls also made xylophones out of X's.

  Johanna's Xylophone

Julia's Xylophone


I also introduced Johanna to the letter Y and told her the fairy tale, The Young Giant.
 

Once I finished telling her the story, she wrote out the letter Y in her lesson book.
 

On Wednesday, Johanna re-told me the story, I copied a summary into her lesson book, and then the girls made yaks out of the letter Y.

 




Johanna's Yak


Julia's Yak


I also introduced Johanna to the letter Z, and told her the African tale of how the zebra got it stripes.
 


After I told the story, she wrote out the letter z in her lesson book.
 

On Thursday, Johanna re-told the story, then her and Julia made zebras out the letter Z.

Johanna's Zebra


Julia's Zebra


We also used these letter cards to go back and review all the letters she has learned so far.

All of the fun alphabet crafts we did this week came from No Time for Flash Cards and Totally Tots.  Starting next week, we will switch over to a math block for a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment