During the week Grant and I continued to practice spelling and his times tables. He also read everyday. We learned some new French words, and are moving quickly through his first piano lessons. A lot of what he is learning is review from his penny whistle lessons. He also continued to practice cursive by writing his mis-spelled words out, as well as the following sentences (To be able to write these, I taught them capitol I, L and T in cursive.):
On Monday, Grant and I reviewed place value starting with a story about the math gnomes having to organize a big pile of jewels.
We got out our "jewels" and sorted them by assigning the different colors to different place values.
Once we had them sorted out by color, I would give Grant a number, such as 342 or 12,543 and he would have to show me what that number looked like in jewels. For example, the above number is 495.
Grant wanted to draw a picture from the story in his lesson book.
I also read the kids this book:
Afterward, Johanna and Julia colored some eggs I had cut out, and glued them into a nest they colored in their books.
Johanna's Eggs
Julia's Eggs
On Tuesday, Grant and I reviewed addition with carrying, and Grant worked out some problems.
I also read this book:
When I was done reading the book, we made a craft from this new Family Fun craft book.
We made these paper birds:
I helped the girls make theirs. Julia's is the big yellow one on the left, Johanna's has the ladybugs on it, mine is behind hers, and Grant decided to make his a penguin.
On Wednesday, Grant and I reviewed subtraction with borrowing, and then Grant worked out some problems.
I also read this book:
After I read the book, the kids and I made these pine cone swans (out of the same family Fun craft book):
On Thursday, Grant drew his form drawing in his book from last week (we forgot, oops!).
He also worked out some more problems using carrying and borrowing. I also showed him how he can check his work using the answer and going backwards.
Next week we will be reviewing the math from this week, and also be doing some crafts and activities for Easter.
















No comments:
Post a Comment