Friday, February 25, 2011

Saint Werburgh and Saint Cuthbert

Monday started out cold and rainy, so we stayed inside and headed into the school room after breakfast.  Grant practiced drawing a circle with his right foot again in a counter-clockwise direction, and then he practiced drawing an a circle with his left foot in a clockwise direction.  Once he was done with that, we reviewed math with math bean toss and the "lot's of boxes" game.  We did our penny whistle lesson, and then we began our main lesson.



We started off the week with Saint Werburgh who was an early 7th century English princess turned nun and then Abbess.  You can read more about her here.  The most well known story is of her reviving a dead goose. I told a version of that story from the Earthschooling curriculum.  After I finished the story, Grant and I drew pictures in our main lesson books.

Mom's Picture

Grant's Picture

On Tuesday, Grant reviewed skip counting while jumping rope and then we did our penny whistle lesson.  After that I had Grant re-tell me the story of Saint Werburgh.  We came up with a summary and he copied it into his main lesson book.


After he was done copying, we did some LA exercises on the board.  I had him read me all the nouns (in blue chalk), verbs (red chalk) and pronouns (purple chalk).  I also erased some of the words and he had to fill them back in.


We also read this book:


I also read this book to the kids:



We had the opportunity to go on a field trip to see the process of gathering sap and making maple syrup at a local reservation about 1 1/2 hours away, but I decided it would not be a good idea.  I think Grant would be interested, but the girls would get bored and I would be with the kids by myself stuck out in the middle of the woods. On top of that, we would have been driving home in rush hour traffic. That pretty much sealed the deal for me there.  Especially since we still had some snotty noses and coughs around the house.  Maybe next year??


I chose Saint Cuthbert as our final Saint because of his connection to Melrose, Scotland.  He grew up there, became a monk and eventually prior at the Melrose Abby.  Would you believe Cory and I have been to Melrose, Scotland?  See, there we are just down the street from the Melrose Abby:


and there we are, too (a little further from Melrose):


(In defense of my chubbiness, let me remind everyone that I was 6 months pregnant at the time with little baby Julia.)

Cory has a good friend who lives in Melrose who Cory and I visited a few year back. While we were there we toured the Melrose Abby.  There is just nowhere you can go in America to get the same feeling of history as you can in Europe.  There is nothing like being in a building that was built before the 7th century!









This is a view of the town of Melrose from the upper floor of the Abby:


This is a view of Melrose from the house where we stayed:


Beautiful Country!

You can read more about Saint Cuthbert here.

On Wednesday, Grant reviewed math with the star count game and then we did a shortened version of our penny whistle lesson.  After that I read Grant a story about Saint Cuthbert from the Earthschooling curriculum.  Once I had finished the story, Grant and I drew our pictures:

Mom's Picture

Grant's Picture

On Thursday, we started out the morning by doing rabbit hops, kangaroo jumps, and three-tailed lemur walks for our "zoorobics".  We did some math review with bean bags, penny whistle lesson, and I read this book to the kids to go with our "maple sugaring" theme:


I did shortly entertain the thought of making maple sugar candy with the kids, but I don't have a candy thermometer at the moment, so that just didn't happen.

Grant also re-told me the story of Saint Cuthbert and copied a summary of it into his main lesson book.


We also did some LA exercises on the board.  I had Grant circle all the words with a "v" sound in them and underline all the words with a "t" sound in them.


Grant also spent some time reading.

We didn't have any school activities going on Friday morning.  I took the chance to sit in front of the fire (on a cold and snowy day) and knit while Grant and Johanna played together and Julia played by contentedly herself.  It was a nice relaxing morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment